Monday 2 June 2014

Repost #4: Some old thoughts about genres

A year ago, so it's no longer very accurate, for example now I know a few awesome Trash Metal bands

Ok, so first maybe my view on metal music? A small opinion on subgenres

Funk metal- very funny idea but it lacks something to blow me away, Rage Against the Machine has some fine songs but overall it's not enough to give me orgasms

Nu metal- please no. While I don't HATE there really isn't anything interesting for me..

Rap metal- next please.

Black Metal- it is something I might listen when I get my heart broken one more time but I really don't want to go that deep- it has a very depressing effect on me even if I like some Burzum or Immortal songs.

Symphonic black metal and viking metal are more in my style, giving some diversity to the serious tones of black metal music

Cello metal- I love the idea of that, if I was born a female I would totally cream myself over Apocalyptica :) I carry a great load of respect toward Apo but I'm not a fan myself

White metal- really no experience here, I heard a song or five few years ago but for an apatheist like me it's not a very interesting idea.

Dark metal- really? I don't really recognise it as a subgenre, it's really not consistent for me.

Death metal- same as with Black Metal, I might yet listen to this genre a lot if something bad happens to me. Thanks to Infidel Amsterdam I have a decent amount of knowledge about this music but I have hard time taking it seriously, as piq squeeling and some other shocking ideas sounds funny to me xD

Melodic Death Metal- my third great love in metal scene, it packs the power from power metal while giving it a serious extreme emotions, growling in a manner I like (screaming) also backed by extremely talented musicians (Insomnium, Wintersun, Kalmah). This genre might sound generic after some time but bands like Dreamshade can make it sound fresh :)

Doom metal- not my style, while I love Sabbats and some related stuff like Belzebong, it's not really for me, sounds like stoned Black Metal without all the vengeful emotions of BM. The only related band I truly love is Swallow The Sun, which is wonderful. Maybe Moonspell too..

No experience with Avant-garde metal, sorry :/

Folk metal- my second love in metal, diversity inside this subgenre is really mind blowing and so far I love every idea included :) Mixing most genres with folk metal by default makes it an almost perfect band for me by default ^_^ Be it celtic, medieval, pagan, pirate- I love all folk metal. Yes, even Varg Percival Shuttenbach and Elvenking, only a bit less :)

Glam Metal- I don't bear hate toward this subgenre, even though many metalheads do. As long as they don't shit on metal it's fine by me.

Gothic metal- well, I had a great love with Charon once, also Moonspell has some amazing sounds. It's good but I don't think I will explore this subgenre more anytime soon.

Grindcore- METAL

Metalcore- WAT R U DOIN

Deathcore- METAL

Nintendocore- STAHP!

Industrial Metal- wow, a lot of stuff going on here.. NIN, Rammstein, Marilyn Manson and others packed into one bag? I might as well flip a coin and say that I like or dislike this subgenre

Neo-classical metal- wow, that's an awesome idea :D I only heard pieces so far, hinted in some power metal songs but I loved every second of it ^_^ I will get into it someday soon :)

No experience with Post-metal, sorry :/

Power metal- and here it is, a love of my life :) Through Sonata Arctica 10 years ago I've started metal chapter of my music journey and until I fell in love it was everything I needed from life ^_^ I love it as much as I did when I discovered it, but I'm not all knowing and all mighty within this subject, there are still bands I barely know, like Firewind, Symphony X or this whole American Power Metal idea.

Progressive metal- not my candy, though I love Rush and Dreamtheater doesn't sound that bad

Speed metal- not enough power for me, speed isn't everything. Also a bit too trashy for me

Symphonic metal- well, Delain is my second favourite band and the whole genre is too close to Power Metal for me to skip it. I would totally love it if I had a vagina. Thanks to my female friends in metal I have a decent knowledge about Nightwish, Within Temptation, After Forever and Epica but too often the sound lacks the power of power metal for me to get an orgasm.

Trash metal- I would love to say a single positive word about this subgenre.. But from my experience, which I think is rather fine, I just can't. Totally not my type of music, it packs the whole charm of heavy metal and mixes it with teenage angst. Redneck metal for me, for fat, ugly, sweaty metalheads who can't see further than a tip of their dick. Yea, I know I'm an asshole :P

and finally a Traditional heavy metal :) I don't believe that someone who listens to any metal music can say a bad word about this whole type of music. I started with Maidens, Scorpions, Sabbats, Zeppelins and Purples. And I love their sound and what it created- a phenomenon in a music world :)

And that's it, mostly I guess. Maybe for 10 years of metal it isn't that much experience but I'm not a great explorer who seeks for 10 new bands everyday. I stick to bands I like and rarely go further than that, usually live shows and random cd pickups are the way I find new music. It's a very slow process, but I'm not in a hurry :)

+ a bonus- Babymetal - I love the idea, I love the execution of it- you can say it's pretty pop+metal but check the musicians behind it and their skill with instruments and damn catchiness and vocals- CoverKillerNation, my guru in music said it's fine so fuck off haters! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment