Monday 2 June 2014

Repost #15: New top 10 bands, right?

My old top 10 bands where they are all actually equal was
0. Titanium
1. Sonata Arctica
2. Delain
3. Alestorm
4. Trollfest
5. Wintersun
6. Turisas
7. Pathfinder
8. Galneryus
9. Stratovarius
10. Powerwolf

With Dio. Charon and Norther being unofficial nr 11, 12 and 13 respectively as those bands are sadly no more.

Since during those last 4 years I've been sinking more and more into Melodic Death Metal I have to update this list, as some bands mentioned have gone through some serious changes and the music they are now making applies more or less to my personal taste. Since I don't want to be too cruel as a critic I'm not gonna kick any of bands on top 10 but expand the list to 13 and shift some places to show which band did progress over another

New top 13
0. Titanium
1. Delain
2. Trollfest
3. Wintersun
4. Alestorm
5. Insomnium
6. Omnium Gatherum
7. Galneryus
8. Stratovarius
9. Turisas
10.Pathfinder
11.Powerwolf
12.Sonata Arctica 1996-2009


A few comments:

Pathfinder coming from 7 to 10 simply because the band is almost dead since the premiere of Fifth Element, I still never saw them live and it's been almost 2 years since the second album.

Turisas coming from 6 to 9 because the last album wasn't so great, still the band is awesome as always, and they rocked on their first headliner show in Poland.

Stratovarius going to 8 from 9. Well, I would love to switch their place with Galneryus, but both bands are representing the best there is in Power Metal and their last albums are both breaking through the limits of musical perfection in this genre. Still, I prefer the japanese band as it's members are ALL. EXTREMELY. SKILLED.

Galneryus was actually covered with Strato, next.
Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum are newcomers to my top 10. Swallow The Sun and Kalmah are awesome too but STS is way too dark to call it my personal favourite from hundreds of bands that I like and Kalmah is... Well, not as complex with lyrics and subjects it's touching.. Kalmah is very close to my top list but I just don't see it here.
It was a hell to me to place Insomnium over Omnium Gatherum as I consider OG a band a bit superior. In the end the lyrics and vocals won over OG, as Insomnium has an amazing lyrics in their both last albums, Still, OG is the most listened to band for me in those last 2 years and I think it won't change in months.

Alestorm switching places with Trollfest- well, Trollfest keeps making awesome music year after year and even with their fanbase expanding these guys are not slowing down. Alestorm on the other hand is nothing more than it was, and I fear it's a bit worse then it was back in 2011 with vocals going downhill fast.

Wintersun coming to 3rd place- well, quite self-explanatory, isn't it? Why not nr. 1? Well, it's a secret :)

Delain coming first- well, the band is still evolving, even though their 3rd album wasn't anything special to me I was able to spot the difference from April Rain and I think that with Human Contradiction they will really show how much they have evolved. It's a band I know for over 5 years and I witnessed the band changing from a small project/support band to a big name on the Symphonic Metal scene. And yes, still, after 5 god damn years it's still the only symphonic metal band which I like and can listen to without falling asleep or throwing the cd out of the window. And trust me, I tried a lot of different symphonic bands, Epica isn't epic, shut up. Without Temptation doesn't make my eyes open, I wish Daywish would disband so Marco can go back to Tarot, After Forever better should call themselves Never Again, Apocalyptica is just an apocalypse of music taste. Avantasia should stop making music so we can have more Eduy activity and I will stop here because we didn't even go to "S" where the real shit rains from the sky.


And that's all I guess. Sonata is going into a trash can, and now I will call them Sonata Arctica -2009. While I love Elias Viljanen i still think the direction the band is taking is because Jani is no more in SA, he was the only person who had some influence on Tony and was trying to steer the wheel of band direction.

And that's it, another boring post about my music taste that no one cares about. I'm glad that there's still some music that I have to listen to and the bands I respect are still making more and more beautiful music for me. I thank You, my favourite bands. Yes, even a thanks to Sonata Arctica. For being what You were one day and showing me the way of Power Metal. I hope I can go to one of Your gigs and see Sonata Arctica playing like 10 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment