Thursday 12 March 2015

10 Best Guitar Solos ever, of all time

the only solo I can play



Ok, sadly the list is small and I've made a terrible decision to put only one song (and it's solo/solos) from one band. This is simply because with bands like Galneryus, Dio and Stratovarius the original list had 109 positions so I picked only the best of the best, top fucking ten of those. And important note - everything counts. Timing, set up, beginning, end. This is why some extremely hard solos didn't make it to the list, they simply didn't fit.

10. Tarot - Love's Not Made for My Kind 

Very, very hard choice, not only within this band (Wings of Darkness and Tides have some extraordinary solos) but outside as well. I will mention runner-ups in the end.

Link

9. Charon - The Cure

This on the other hand was obvious. Charon has a lot of short and amazing solos in songs, usually slightly different than the main riff. But here it's different. This is something new. Something amazing to hear as a Charon fan. This solo is an amazing surprise and the culmination of all sad memories I have with this band.

Link

8. Titanium - In The Night

I wanted to put a solo from their Fullmoon cover where Karol plays 2 in 1 but this can do. There are 3 solos and all are perfectly timed but the guest solo from Gunsen is the breaking point, when shit gets crazy. Best timing and best solo excluding japanese bonus track

Link

7. Omnium Gatherum - Who Could Say

Who could say it will be on the list? Not as outstanding as The Unknowing, I know. But this can squeeze fucking tears, The Unknowing cannot. One of the best fitting solos of all time.

Link

6. Aephanemer - Inner Storm

This had to be on this list, every time I hear the outro I'm feeling my powerlevel rising. The timing is perfect, this outro is so flawless that the song should just stop after it, I said that to Martin/Nif at least 2 times and I won't shut the fuck up about it.

Link

5. Kalmah - They Will Return

If I wasn't sure about getting into Melodeath after Moon of My Nights this certainly fixed that. It's just pure madness, and the best part of it it's in the fucking beginning. No one could expect that after the already fast intro and many brains did not survive [*]

Braindamage

4. Sonata Arctica - The Power of One

Ah yes, SA had many great songs to choose from but this one was pretty much the summary of this band. The most complex song of theirs and the best one in my opinion. From sadness to solo-happiness, from slower parts to fast madness this song is all that Sonata Arctica was about in their prime. And it all starts to show up after the title drop and the first solo.

mic drop

3. Dio - Don't Talk to Strangers

One of the most obvious bands on the list but hard choice when it comes to songs, the original list had 18 Dio songs here but DTtS is the one. No words are needed, just see for yourself.


2. Galneryus - Angel of Salvation

One of the hardest choices in my life. I know, my life is boring and easy, fuck off. Anyway, almost impossible choice to make and I took the easy path, everyone knows or should now this solo by now.


1. Stratovarius- Elysium

And the obvious king of solos, many here, every single one fits, nothing new, nothing interesting, everyone agrees. The outro solo has a special mention, as it is also an outro to this list of 10 wonderful, amazing and peerless songs and their guitar solos.

Link to your salvation



Honorable mentions:

Insomnium - Revelation
Heaven and Hell - Rock 'N Roll Angel
TrollfesT - Jevnes med Jorden (the only guitar Trollfest solo I know)
Powerwolf- Night of the Warewolves (surprisingly good)
Norther - Some Day (most amazing of all boring solos, the climate is perfect)
Dragonforce- Defenders (worse than Enceladus but still fun to hear)
Enceladus- Ethereality (in the middle of fast-show-off-solo-power-metal-bands)
Pathfinder (king of show-off solos but not good enough for the list)
Wintersun - Winter Madness (this might be surprising to many but I never thought this solo is the best in the world. It's great but only slightly more fitting than Pathfinder ones)


No comments:

Post a Comment