Thursday 6 August 2015

(request) Stratovarius "Shine in the Dark" track review

Usually I don't like vandalism but Stratovarius blew my mind (and a toilet)

These are rare, right? Requests. I almost forgot I take them. Stratovarius next album Ephemeral Toilet Eternal is coming out soon, so they released a lyric video track for Shine in the Dark track.

Lemme grab my inner asshole and review it. The video is mostly Kotipelto with his headphones, looking sad because I still didn't hug him (coming soon with pictures maybe) so I will focus on lyrics and the music. 
Intro is very solid and heavy but soon fades away and.. well, that song is surprisingly cheesy for Stratovarius. Actually sounds like I Will Build You A Rome with slower tempo. Stratovarius with old Sonata Arctica? Well, I like it. There are some very slight progressive elements, mostly with the song structure. By comparing to mentioned above CO song it's more progressive in the beginning but later follows the pattern,, CO one shows progress after second chorus and solos. 

Well I won't hide that I expected something different, but I'm not disappointed or shocked. Maybe only a bit worried that they took that soft turn, but I'm rather sure I will like the full album as last 3 ones. 

It's a soft song so I won't expect mind-blowing solos, but I'm not fully satisfied with the keyboards. Guitars however are riffing almost through the whole song with a lot of diversity, so 10/10 here.

The worst in this song is mixing- guitars and drums are pushed way too much in the background, r.i.p. bass and choirs are too loud

I never speak about You
Never say Your name

It's not that I don't care
It's just that I'm not there


The lyrics however are daamn, cheesy yet with great meaning. I won't post them whole, but they match the Cain's Offering ones, truly beautiful and cheesy, yet with Kotipelto on vocals it's 11/10. His sad&powerful voice fits those strong&sad lyrics perfectly. 

Final score

Vocals: 11/10
Guitars: 10/10
Keys: 8/10
Drums: 7/10
Bass: toilet/10 (get it? BECAUSE IT BLOWS! HACHAHACHA! kill me)

Additional:
++lyrics
+nice structure
-mixing

Summary: 95%. I like it, solid, just don't have another 3 similar songs on Eternal 


No comments:

Post a Comment